We get regular support queries about the visual editor not working.
4 steps to diagnose
- Try the visual editor with another browser. What browser are you using?
- Try the visual editor with another WordPress theme, like Twenty Ten, if you can.
- Disable all other plugins one-by-one until the visual editor, or some other page of the plugin, works again.
- Report to us what caused your problem. When you share, you help other users like yourself.
How to diagnose conflict faster?
In many case simply activating the debug mode will give you at the bottom of Wysija’s backend interfaces a list of potential conflicting scripts from plugin or themes. So you can deactivate the owners of those scripts in priority.
List of known conflicting themes
- Balance: breaking the visual editor (fixed in Wysija version 2.1.6)
- Corporate Easy: breaking our settings save action
- Hybrido, a premium theme
- Launch Effect
- Mass, a premium theme
- PromoTion: breaking the export
- Rocket Themes Grunge Template, the checkboxes used to select lists within the subscription widget are hidden
- SmallBiz (fixed in Wysija version 1.1.2)
- Trademark: breaking our settings save action
List of known conflictual plugins
- A Page Flip Book : impossible to drag and drop in the visual editor
- Admin Trim Interface : problems with visual editor
- Advanced Access Manager: Wysija’s settings page is inaccessible
- Advanced Custom Fields: text editor doesn’t show buttons (the formatting buttons of TinyMCE) or the searching for an article in the WP post widget doesn’t work (hangs). Note: this should be fixed in the upcoming release of 2012/04. Here’s a patch to download for earlier versions.
- Advanced WordPress Theme Editor: breaks the editor!
- Business Directory Plugin: breaks the subscription form editor.
- Custom Permalinks: sending preview throws a JSON error. It still works though.
- Digg Digg: subscription form validation triggers an invalid email even when the email is well written
- Debug Bar: breaking feature to add images to newsletter
- Easy Toolbox
- Email users: text editor’s doesn’t show buttons and will overflow (fixed in Wysija version 1.1.2)
- Erident Custom Login and Dashboard: visual editor problems
- Event Registration: our visual editor misbehaves
- Events : text editor’s buttons don’t show. (fixed in Wysija version 1.1.2)
- FasterFox, an addon for Firefox
- Firewall 2: the wrong window is displayed when trying to add images to your newsletter (this is not really a conflict, in Firewall 2 you can setup a Whitelisted Pages with param tab and that will fix it)
- Lightview Plus (Version 188.8.131.52): the toolbar tabs (images, styles, themes) are not clickable. Just update to the latest version of this plugin to fix the issue
- MindValley Super PageMash: impossible to drag and drop in the visual editor
- Polylang: infinite redirect loop on our links
- Post Sync : our interfaces are broken because of the css from that plugin
- Quick-Tabs: visual editor widget freezes
- Sermon Manager: visual editor issues
- Simple links (fixed in Wysija 2.1.6)
- Statrix: visual editor issues
- Skype Click-to-call: addon for browsers (screws up the display of newsletter)
- UnderConstruction: breaking the subscription form
- Woo Sliders : breaking our newsletters themes listing
- WP Resources URL Optimization: visual editor’s toolbar doesn’t show
- WP YouTube Lyte
- WP-Blocks: the image manager of the visual editor doesn’t open
- WP-RokAjaxSearch: visual editor is broken on Chrome (fixed in Wysija 2.1.5)
- WP-RokStories: visual editor is broken on Chrome (fixed in Wysija 2.1.5)
- WP Super Heatmap: breaking our newsletters form (we have a solution, please contact)
- WPtap News Press: impossible to drag and drop in the visual editor
- WpToFacebook: text editor’s doesn’t show buttons and will overflow (fixed in Wysija version 1.1.4)
Will Wysija fix your conflict?
In most cases, no. We want our plugin to work with the most popular plugins out there seamlessly.
For an old and unmaintained plugin, we might suggest you alternative plugins.
For themes, we’ll try to fix them too, but we can’t guarantee we will, unless you’re a Premium user.
Wysija abides to plugin coding standards to avoid conflicts with other plugins. If we’re at fault, we’ll be happy to correct.
Instructions to avoid conflicts for plugin and theme developers
In short, never hook directly to admin_head to include your scripts. Instead, create your own custom hook: myplugin_admin_head.